£5m facelift for the Ridings
Published: 19 April, 2017
NewRiver unveils new proposals for Wakefield scheme
NewRiver REIT has unveiled further details of its £5m facelift for the Ridings centre in Wakefield, due to start in Spring this year and reaching completion around the same time in 2018.
Initial works have been completed with a new events space in the middle mall, and the relocation of Grind/Melt Café to a brand-new venue at the Almshouse Lane entrance.
Included within the £5m refurbishment programme will be:-
- Fully renovated toilets and parent and child facilities
- A ‘pop up’ shop space that will provide independent local businesses with a flexible trading space.
- A new customer service lounge will provide additional shopper services like mobile device charging and Click and Collect services.
- The introduction of ‘The Ridings Kitchen,’ a new food and drink zone at the Cathedral entrance with local caterers providing the food offer. This will have a large communal seating area with space for 200 covers plus space for up to hot food outlets and a dessert bar.
- The creation of a high quality indoor market and food hall on the lower mall, known as All Saints Market.
- New signage throughout, as well as car park improvements.
NewRiver director Paul Wright said: “Since purchasing The Ridings in 2016, we’ve worked on a number of strategic development areas aimed at delivering improvements to The Ridings and adding something unique to Wakefield City Centre.”